Thursday, September 3, 2009

About Today's Church Music

Older believers have to be careful how they talk, I'm told. So let me first say, yes, there are some great new songs around. The music and the words both.
Now let me tell you how I really feel...

Since the "established" church seems to have trouble with the old hymnbooks, I sing out of one most every morning. In private. I love even the poetry of these songs. I was raised on them, what can I say? There was majesty and beauty and downright sense to the words.

Take this one. I have never sung it in my life, couldn't whistle the tune if I tried, but while skimming through a particular songbook (Hymns of the Christian Life, 1936! -before even my time) , I have run across this song often. I decided to do a read only. Oh my, I was touched more than I have been in a month of Sundays in the established place. And I mean no offense to my home church. I just have trouble feeling at home during song-time. Check out these words:

1. Jesus and shall it ever be, a mortal man ashamed of Thee?

Ashamed of Thee Whom angels praise, Whose glories shine through endless days?

2. Ashamed of Jesus! sooner far let evening blush to own a star;

He sheds the beams of light divine o'er this benighted soul of mine.

3. Ashamed of Jesus! that dear Friend on Whom my hopes of heaven depend!

No; when I blush, be this my shame, that I no more revere His Name.

4. Ashamed of Jesus! Yes, I may when I've no guilt to wash away,

No tears to wipe, no good to crave, no fears to quell, no soul to save.

5. Till then, nor is my boasting vain, till then I boast a Saviour slain;

And O may this my glory be, that Christ is not ashamed of me.

OH how wonderful those words of Joseph Grigg. I can only imagine that Henry Oliver's tune enhances the beauty. Because that's how the old songs were, for the most part. Great lyrics, supportive music. Not the other way around.

Here's a suggestion for Mother Church, the Body of the Lord Himself. If we so desire novelty for our youth, let's teach them some of these great old songs that they have never heard. To them, they will be new. To us they will be precious. And we'll all be happy.

Suggestion two, while I'm on a roll. The Church was not created for the world, but for the saints. Let the Church remain holy and draw all men to Christ through the preached cross. Let the saints feel comfortable in their own home. The world has its own.

Did I just change the subject...? not really. Music that appeals to the flesh is of the world. Music that effects bodily changes is fleshly. Music that makes me want to cover my ears is an offense. Music that, like alcohol and tobacco, takes some getting used to needs to be eliminated before all ears are polluted and people will not even want to go to a church that does not rock.

http://chosunhouse.com is a website I put together a few months back to get the word out to believers that they need to pray for North Korea. I have created over 200 blogs and the site features a live news feed , lists of resources, picture essays, and ways to respond to the overwhelming need in North Korea. Let's love Chosun together! Contact me any time at diakonos5@yahoo.com

And who am I? A man found of God over 50 years ago, called to the ministry, serving the Lord as needed in my world. Married, member of a local church in the Chicago area, with full time work in public education. I love to write Scriptural works. Who are you? Would love to fellowship with believers who respond .

No comments:

Post a Comment